Monday, September 21, 2009

The celebration of remembering.

To have someone that you love so dearly is wonderful but to have someone who means everything to you is even better. For me, that someone is my grandma who I call Nekwan. Ever since that I could remember, my family would stay at her house for every Raya. The night before Raya would be the night that my sisters and I would try to grab the spot in front of the tv to sleep. We would watch the shows on the tv while waiting to sleep. The next morning, after the raya prayers, all of my relatives nearby would gather at Nekwan's house and share the food brought from home. The colourful clothes, the laughter, the teasing, the bonding. It was a sight to behold.

Nekwan's house is the old kampung house which is built higher than the ground and has the wooden staircase. I would play under the house and chased the chickens and ducks that Nekwan reared which would be cooked for rendang. When it was the time for the sun to shine, I would play with small dots on the floor. The roof of the house is made of zincs, so as time goes by, there would be small holes on the roof. The light from the sun would go through the holes and create the dots that I would diligently try to chase but couldnt get a hold of.

I must say that I was a bit spoiled by her. It must be because I knew how to amuse her. When I was 4 or 5 years old, she would ask me, " Dah besar nanti jadi duktur nek ye?" and I would smile and say yes, not knowing what it was. She would laugh, amused that I would just say yes to whatever she asked though she had a weird way to pronounce the word 'doctor'. She was the one that I would go to whenever I was about to be scolded by my dad for playing truant. I would cry and she would ask my dad not to be so hard on me. Obviously, the crying stopped after that.Hehe.

But everything must come to an end. I was Form 5 at that time. I was so devastated that I asked why couldnt she at least wait before I get to be a doctor. As I dont think I will ever be a medical doctor now, maybe I should try to obtain a PhD. I would still be called a doctor anyway. Ive been thinking to write something about her but I would get all gloomy and sad whenever I think about her. So I said to myself, I wont write something sad about my grandma, I would write the good things that I remember whenever I was with her because I believe someone that you love would always be with you, no matter what.



4 comments:

  1. not 4/5 YO. wan asked you even after you were few days old and you'd laugh and smiled. which was according to her, a baby rarely be able to smile and laugh at such early age.

    there's no raya for me without her. she is and ever will be, my rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ebb: well,that is just even more amazing,isnt it?hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. emmm, I lost my grandma too.. and I dearly miss her.. ur nekwan sounds cool tho.. hehehe.. and do get a PhD, u'll be a doctor for her then.. (^^,)

    happy Raya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yo bro... i lost my nenek too... last time i met her in 1998 at hospital... (sad sad)... 11 years ago... raya without kampung & nenek = almost meaningless for me la... thats why, sudah 2 tahun tara raya maa...

    what ever it is, life must go on...one day, we will become atok juga... dua tiga kucing berlari, selamat hari raya aidilfitri... bule kan pantun dua kerat? nice layout anyway...

    ReplyDelete